How do I surrender my license plate to the FLHSMV when I move out of Florida?

How do I surrender my license plate to the FLHSMV when I move out of Florida?

To surrender your license plate to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) when you move out of Florida, you can follow these general steps:

  1. Remove the Plate: Take off your license plate from your vehicle. Ensure that you keep the registration sticker, as you may need it for documentation. You’ll probably need to purchase insurance and plate your vehicle in your new home state before taking this step.
  2. Visit an FLHSMV Office: Locate a nearby FLHSMV office or tax collector’s office. You can use the FLHSMV website or contact their customer service to find the nearest office. If you’re out of Florida already, the plate can be mailed. The address is: DHSMV
    Return Tags
    2900 Apalachee Parkway
    Tallahassee, FL 32399
  3. Surrender the Plate: Bring the removed license plate to the FLHSMV office. You may be required to complete a surrender form, which can be provided at the office.
  4. Provide Documentation: Bring any required documentation, such as your driver’s license or identification, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance.
  5. Pay Fees (if applicable): Check with the FLHSMV office to see if there are any surrender or processing fees. Some states may require a fee for surrendering license plates.
  6. Obtain a Receipt: Once you have surrendered the license plate, make sure to obtain a receipt or confirmation that you have surrendered it. This can be useful for your records. If you’ve mailed the plate, mail it certified mail with a return receipt and access the FLHSMV servicing portal here to ensure that your driver’s license doesn’t suspend in Florida in about 45 days from mailing the plate.

It’s always a good idea to check with the specific FLHSMV office you plan to visit or contact their customer service for any additional requirements or information specific to your situation. Keep in mind that the process may vary, and it’s essential to comply with Florida’s regulations regarding license plate surrender when moving out of the state. The Phone number for FLHSMV is 850-617-2000.

*Information was primarily obtained from

If you have specific insurance or car insurance related questions within the State of Florida or you’re looking for an indpendent auto insurance broker to provide you with auto insurance quotes when you’re new to Florida, please contact Allie Horblitt with Barefoot Insurance Brokers at 786-440-8242 or by email at